The Final One

Final Sunday with Emmanuel and fam

Family and friends,

To be honest, I don't want to admit to myself that the day has finally come. Everything that has happened these past 2 fast and amazing years has been swirling through my head non-stop. I couldn't put all my thoughts together if I even tried to express my gratitude for my mission, my Savior,and the burning love I have for this Gospel. Hopefully I'll have something coherent and well thought out by the time Sunday comes around to express just a small portion of that gratitude and love.

A week full of "lasts" as a missionary. The last scheduled lesson. Last time going to church and not stressing for my life if our people are going to show up or not. The last time shopping for food all on my own, not having mom shut me down on all my poor eating and spending habits (Dr. Pepper mostly)...like a good mom should do. An unforgettable week though for sure. Was just a great, full of grinding, type of week. I wouldn't have changed it for anything. On Tuesday, we were able to get Elder Diaz-Pacheco and his companion over to Iowa City for my last exchange. We got the Hampton trio back together hitting the pavement one last time before taking off. It had been about 13 months since we were last together as a companionship. These two have grown so much in that past year. It was so much fun to just get to it with them and make something out of a very empty day that we had scheduled. We were able to go over and eat breakfast with Elder DP's sister (yeah his sister is in our mish, kinda cool) on Wednesday morning and had a very cool experience. His sister had been in need for a blessing and had been praying and praying for someone to be guided to her. She had other opportunities to receive a blessing but every time it just didn't feel right to her. Then her little brother texted her asking to come over. An answer to a prayer that she had offered up to God out of desperation just an hour before. God is in our lives! Can't make this stuff up. 

The whole week, the grind and all, led up to an amazing final Sunday in the mission field. You couldn't write it up better! After having lessons with Kiandre and his whole family, they were able to return back to church for the first time in a while. They gave us a scare when they hadn't shown up once sacrament meeting started but 15 minutes in there they were, all 5 of them including the mom. They were beaming to be back and everyone was so happy to see them. Kiandre will be getting baptized here in a couple weeks and the fam will be on the path to be an eternal family sealed in the temple.

Throughout the week we had been struggling to get in contact with Emmanuel and to sit down and talk with him and his family. Everytime we tried by we always missed him. We still had high hopes of seeing him come on Sunday but the meeting was about to start and no sign at all of him. No answer to text or call. Nada. I was done. Just tired and frustrated with dealing with this kind of stuff for 2 years. In my mind I was already on the plane home. Then literally right at this time of just defeat coming over me, there comes walking down the hall Emmanuel with his wife Quizá, their daughter Gloria, and two little boys David and Gabriel. I sat with them through sacrament and I will never forget it. I'll never let that feeling of defeat come over me again. "Not my will, but Thine." They fit in so well at church. You would've guessed by the way they acted that they were already members. They are going to be a hugeeeee asset to the Ward because they speak incredible English, and being from Congo, they speak both French and Swahili. Two languages that are huge in Iowa City, but so hard to have solid members who speak them to help with fellowship and retention. This family is the key to being able to accomplish just that. Big things will happen in the coming months and years if they stay solid!

This upcoming week, I'll be able to say good bye to all the amazing friends I've made on my mission that are still out here. We'll be off at zone conferences until I jump on the plane on Friday morning. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather be out and about preaching the Gospel, but it's a nice 'cherry-on-top' type of finish to be able to say goodbye to the homies scattered throughout the mission.

This work is true. I believed it was when I first departed from home. 2 years later, I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that it is true. It's all true. God is in every single detail of our lives. There are no such things as coincidences. I have been a witness and a recipient of too many miracles to say otherwise. Jesus is the Christ. My Savior and your Savior. The Book of Mormon is tangible evidence of the restoration of the gospel in these days. Do all you can to KNOW for yourself of the truthfulness of this gospel. Don't be satisfied in just believing.

I love you all. I love Iowa. I can't believe I just typed that but I really do love Iowa. It has changed my entire life. Thank you for all your support these past 2 years and reading Elder Christensen's long and boring letters one last time. 2 John 1:12 puts it perfectly, s/o to Jyn Bug for the scripture, 

"Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full."

See you soon. 

HARD IS GOOD. 

Elder Scott Christensen
Hampton Trio, one last time

Bye Bye DP

Watch out Blake, I'm ready!
My team vs your team..I'll take my team every time.
View from the Children's Hospital. Go Hawkeyes!

Comments

Popular Posts