Just one of those weeks...

Grateful for the Ortega family!

Hello!

I don’t even know where to start. It was just a weird week, full of its ups and downs, just one of those weeks were we had no success at all and everyday our for plans for Amelia changed…and not for the good.

But I’ll start off with positive things of the week. I hope everyone had a solid Thanksgiving. I am sure it was either 30 degrees or 75 degrees back home in SLC lol! We were lucky here in IA, it was a perfect day, sunshine and 70, not complaining. We started the day off with a zone wide run up to the capitol building. It was a blast. Fifteen of us running in the middle of downtown Des Moines (streets were closed for traffic for some reason) We felt like Rocky running up those last couple steps once we made it up to the top. Good times.  We then of course felt like that was enough exercise for the day so we went back and chilled before stuffing ourselves at a couple members’ homes. Solid Thanksgiving. Of course I missed all of you a little bit but my Des Moines fam took me great care of me.
Inspired by Rocky


Now for the bummer part of the week, along with zero success finding new people, it was a roller coaster ride of emotions with Amelia and the Luis’ whole family. Monday night we stopped by their house. After talking with Luis, he explained that Crystal, for some reason or another, feels threatened. Not because of him but just because of so many other things going on. She wants to move back to Detroit with her family. Hearing that news shocked us. Didn’t really know how react and had no idea what to plan for.

Friday rolls around, after talking with them a couple times during the week, and we walked up to the porch and found Luis just sobbing. For a good hour and half he just opened up to us.  He was so upset about the plans Crystal was making to move within the next week or so. He is scared and nervous for his kids. Apparently the situation they would be moving to in Detroit is not good, hard living conditions and Crystal’s family is an interesting group. So on Friday night we were pretty certain that Amelia’s baptism was not going to happen.

Saturday comes, Luis says they are now planning to leave in a month or two. We were stoked. We felt like that was enough time to baptize Amelia, and even enough time for Luis. I then thought I could get ahold of my man, Cole, and other missionaries in Detroit so once they moved they could have someone looking out for them. We had things planned out and continued to prepare for Amelia’s baptism…I was feeling solid.

Well, on Sunday, Luis showed up to church alone. Amelia is usually always with him but turns out Crystal wouldn’t let her come to church, or any of the other kids. Not what we wanted to hear. We, along with Luis, were super bummed. Stopped by later to talk to all of them and just see how they are doing. Talking with Crystal we were told that they were moving on Friday. Now that was the WORST thing to hear. At this point, I’m at a loss for words, no clue how to explain to you guys, let alone to myself. But the one thing I’ve learned is that the adversary works so hard against those trying to accept the gospel!

But everything will be okay. God has a plan for Amelia, Luis and the rest of their family. Luis is still on date for the 14th of January and he even could be baptized earlier. If for some reason, Amelia and the fam are still around she could be baptized along side her dad. But that plan could easily change, just like all the others!

Luis and Amelia
Love you all! Sorry for the rambling letter full of my frustrations. I’m still having fun and loving the work. And it looks like I won’t need to break out my winter coat for another week so I’ll take it!

Read this solid scripture  3 Nephi 20:29-31

Defecil es bueno! 

Elder Christensen

p.s. s/o to Katia, big 17 on Friday! 
view from the Capitol

Well fed missionaries at the Jesperson's home




Comments

Popular Posts