Iowa Boy !

Des Moines Airport with Pres.& Sister Badger

Hello from IOWA!!

What a week it’s been. I have no idea where to start, but I couldn’t be happier to finally be out in the field!! It was an awesome 6 weeks in the CCM but I was ready to get things started in IA. I was finally able to meet President and Sister Badger and they are amazing as I was told. They are so easy going and love it here. When I met them at the airport, one of the first things Sister Badger said to me was, "We have heard lots about you Elder Christensen from friends back home... We have been counting down the days until you got here." I didn't know if that was a good thing or not…but they are incredible and am so excited and blessed to work with them.

To start things off, I'm beginning the mission in Des Moines! Everyone here has said how big of a blessing it is for me to have this as my first area. Lots of Spanish activity here, probably 80+ percent of all our work has been in Spanish, which is a lot for the states. And to cap it off, I get to be in one of the two Spanish branches in Iowa. It was awesome to meet everyone yesterday at church. They are all so nice and have said how much Spanish I will learn while serving in the branch so I am excited!

I am also starting the mission off in a trio! My comps are two Spanish speaking elders. Elder Sitterud is a stud and from Sacramento. He's been out for 21 months so he’s a seasoned veteran. My other companion is Elder McConnell, been out for 17 months and from SanDiego. Both said they started from the basics in Spanish and now they speak very well so that gave me some hope and excitement. All three of us are squished into an apartment and of course being the baby of the 3, I get to sleep in the little space in between their beds… haha. It’s pretty funny but actually nice and cozy. We make things work out and it’s been awesome so far to have them as my trainers. I have learned so much from them already. They are giving me the details of the mission, especially how cold winters get here so that’s something to start looking forward to...

On my first full day in the mission we had a lesson scheduled. I was able to teach a mother and daughter, Veronica and Joanna, about the Book of Mormon and read from it with them. I actually talked in the lesson which was awesome and was able to bear my testimony to them. After, we popped the question and asked them to be baptized on November 25. They said yes! It was such a cool experience, especially since it was my first time in an actual lesson. Elder McConnell has been in the area for a transfer so he has also been teaching this guy named Luis for some time. I was able to meet and talk with Luis yesterday in church and he was such a cool guy. He loves coming to church, loves the gospel, and all we need him to do is stop smoking. Not a small feat, but according to McConnell, when they first started to teach him 3-4 weeks ago, he was smoking 1-2 packs a day. He is now down to 1-2 cigarettes a day. If he stops by Saturday, he will be ready for baptism in November!!

I had a really cool experience on Friday. It was my first day really knocking doors. We were at a 3-story apartment building, and everything was going relatively well. People were answering but not super interested. But as we went through the entire building with really no success, we got to the last two doors of the building. Each one opened up and we were able to teach them about the restoration and give them a LdeM. I don’t know how to put it into words but I had my own Pres. Ucthdorf, “4th floor, Last Door”, experience. (Read the talk if you haven't heard it) It really got me super pumped up about this work and so excited for these next 2 years.

I love you all! I’m doing awesome here in Iowa.

Deficil es bueno!!


Elder Christensen (aka Iowa Boy)

* below is a video of Scott bearing his testimony at member's house on Monday night. It was posted on the mission's Facebook page. It was great to see him and hear his Spanish coming along!
The Trio: Elder McConnell, Elder Christensen, Elder Sitterud



Comments

Popular Posts