Love from Ciudad de Mexico


Hello family and friends!

Just a couple more days and I will finally be off in Iowa! It has been absolutely crazy how fast these 6 weeks have gone by. Some times were definitely slower and faster than others but it really seems like yesterday I was saying bye to all of you. And now, after 6 weeks of learning more Spanish than I ever did in school (s/o to SeƱor, he's still the goat), Wednesday I’ll be off to the fields... literally. Ran into a couple guys down here from around Iowa and it really is just straight cornfields they said. So dope!! hahah

The past week has been tough starting with a couple goodbyes to some truly amazing elders. Such studs and I hope they know I’m constantly thinking about them and sending my love. Then just trying to learn as much Spanish as I can in these next 5 days but I found it to be very hard to stay motivated and focused when your mind is constantly on a place thousands miles away. Spanish was still able to progress and now I’m just ready to get thrown out to the field (literally) and just learn from there.
District 6B & 11B...best guys around!

But besides that daily struggle, had a couple of fun highlights of the week... Had the chance to teach some volunteers from straight off the street. Most are members but come to the CCM to help simulate actual lessons and stuff. So it’s alllllll in Spanish. Taught these two kids, one was around 8 years old. I started to think to myself, "Perfect! I’ll be able to keep up, understand, and actually contribute in a conversation. My spanish should be good enough to keep up with a kid..." That hope got shut down 2 minutes into the lesson. This little homie spoke so fast... probably understood less than 50% of what he was saying. It was pretty funny to get humbled that fast.

Today I was able to go to the Mexico City Temple. It’s an hour away from the CCM so it was really nice to get out from behind the walls for a couple hours. Listened to the session in Spanish, definitely the most stressful temple experience yet... in a good way though!! Was able to listen and understand a good portion of it so that was rewarding. Had a really awesome experience and I’m really bummed that we only got to go once.

Also, yesterday, our Branch President, Pres. Lyons, snuck Elder Broadhead, Cortex, and me out of the CCM to go get some ice cream! Shhhhh don’t tell. It was fun being out on the streets. We tried to convince him to let us try to give some LdeM (Libre de Mormons) away but he said he needed to get us back before people noticed. President Lyons is such a good guy. He and his wife served as mission presidents in Peru, Lima East, s/o to Matt Man, and then got called to the area seventy for 7 years so he’s an awesome example. Speaks perfect Spanish and perfect English so maybe in two years I’ll be half that...

We have all gotten so bored here that we have started to name little animals around here. We found a spider outside our room. It’s hugeeeee and scary but we named him Jarome. We always say what up to him when we walk out in the morning and say good night to him every night. Another kinda funny story. During the Tuesday devotional, about half way through, I look up from my notebook and just see this mouse just chilling five feet in front of me. It started to scamper around and kept Broadhead and I entertained allllllll night. We named him Remmie. He wasn’t too scared of us and actually kept crawling around and over all the bags that were in front of us. It was hilarious cause we didn’t really tell them what was happening and let them look down and see a mouse at their feet. It was classic!

Can’t wait to get out in the field! I’m ready to really start this journey!
As my Uncle Creighton reminded me in his letter, D&C 4:4-5, “For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul. And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work”  The tools I’ve gained from the CCM are packed and I’m ready for Iowa!

Quick little s/o to EHWS! 4-0 W on Tuesday and on to Corner Canyon in the quarter-finals. Win or lose, IT’S ALWAYS A GREAT DAY TO BE A LEOPARD!!

¡Deficil es bueno!

Love from Ciudad de Mexico,


Elder Christensen

Mexico City Temple

Watch out Jimbo, some new Selfie Kings in town!

Missionaries or Models?

Comments

Popular Posts